Synopsis: A dark and electrifying novel about addiction, fanaticism, and what might exist on the other side of life.
In a small New England town, over half a century ago, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister. Charles Jacobs, along with his beautiful wife, will transform the local church. The men and boys are all a bit in love with Mrs. Jacobs; the women and girls feel the same about Reverend Jacobs — including Jamie’s mother and beloved sister, Claire. With Jamie, the Reverend shares a deeper bond based on a secret obsession. When tragedy strikes the Jacobs family, this charismatic preacher curses God, mocks all religious belief, and is banished from the shocked town.
Jamie has demons of his own. Wed to his guitar from the age of thirteen, he plays in bands across the country, living the nomadic lifestyle of bar-band rock and roll while fleeing from his family’s horrific loss. In his mid-thirties — addicted to heroin, stranded, desperate — Jamie meets Charles Jacobs again, with profound consequences for both men. Their bond becomes a pact beyond even the Devil’s devising, and Jamie discovers that revival has many meanings. Continue reading “Revival – Stephen King”
Hey everyone!! This is it!!! The final discussion for our Revival readalong! Thank you to everyone who joined in the fun!! Everything is open for discussion here, so if you haven’t finished the book yet COVER YOUR EYE HOLES!!! Also, please let us know how you enjoyed the readalong & discussions…we’d love to keep doing these periodically and are always open to suggestions on how to make things better or more engaging. Again, thank you for joining us!!!
1. What are your overall thoughts on the book? How would it rate compared to other King books you’ve read (if you have)?
2. Is our world similar to THE MATRIX & that’s the real world? Or is that what the afterlife is actually like (within Jamie’s world?) Or something entirely different altogether?
3. Any favorite scenes from the book?
4. How about those Frankenstein vibes at the end? Do you think Mary Fay was named in honor of Mary Shelley?
5. Do you think this is an extension of the Cthulhu Mythos by Lovecraft?
6. Did you think King spent enough time in the “other world” or should he have expanded upon it? Would you want to see Stephen King explore The Null/Mother in future books?
Hey friends!!! Thanks so much for joining in our Revival readalong! How are you enjoying the book so far?! These questions are just a guideline…feel free to answer as many or as few as you’d like (it’s not a test!). Additionally, if there are questions you want to ask of the group, go right ahead! If you’ve read ahead, PLEASE be mindful of that and keep things SPOILER FREE!! On the flip side, this discussion is for chapters one through seven, so if you fell behind…YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
1. Have you read Stephen King before?
2. What do you think of Revival so far?
3. Who is your favorite character?
4. Did chapter 3 murder you with feels (IF IT DIDN’T, WHAT KIND OF GODDAMN MONSTER ARE YOU)?!
5. What is the “secret electricity” that Jacobs is using? Supernatural/higher power/placebo effect/a rift in time & space?
6. To this point, would you categorize Revival as a horror novel?
7. Is there any such thing as a reliable first-person narrator?
Synopsis: It’s the summer of 1960 in Elm Haven, Illinois, and five 12-year old boys are forming the bonds that a lifetime of changes will never erase. But then a dark cloud threatens the bright promise of summer vacation: on the last day of school, their classmate Tubby Cooke vanishes. Soon, the group discovers stories of other children who once disappeared from Elm Haven. And there are other strange things happening in town: unexplained holes in the ground, a stranger dressed as a World War I soldier, and a rendering-plant truck that seems to be following the five boys. The friends realize that there is a terrible evil lurking in Elm Haven…and they must be the ones to stop it. Continue reading “Summer of Night – Dan Simmons”
Week 3, friends! How are you making out? Are you finding this an easy read? Tough? Too long?
THIS SHIT IS BANANAS!!! Continue reading “Summer of Night – Week 3”
“I am what you might call a rambling man, and America is my beat.”
Would you take candy from a stranger.. in a park.. wearing a bowler hat.. who wants to “palaver?” Hmm. But what if he offered you a magical box filled with special animal-shaped chocolates & silver coins & various buttons & WORLD DOMINATION?! Or something like that.. yeah. No. I’m good. Thanks, but no thanks. Continue reading “Gwendy’s Button Box – Stephen King & Richard Chizmar”
Welcome to the week two discussion, all! How are you making out? Things got BONKERS in this section! And incredibly heartbreaking ::SOB::
Again, this is an open discussion, so feel free to ask the group any questions you may have too! Continue reading “Summer of Night – Week 2”
Thanks for taking part in our very first Grimdragon readalong!
Please feel free to post your own questions & thoughts in the comments! Continue reading “Summer of Night – Week 1”